Kopila Valley Children's Home and Primary School, Surkhet, Nepal We opened our doors to our cozy, bright, and joyful home in spring 2008. Today our Kopila family has grown to 40 beautiful, healthy, happy, and thriving children. In the spring of 2010 we were thrilled to complete dream number two: Kopila Valley Primary School. Our new community-built bamboo school is home to over 300 students (nursery through 8th grade). As you may imagine: Things are busy and amazing! Please have a look at this one minute video of our family—we made this greeting before the school was built....now we are all studying hard, and dreaming big. There is still so much to do.
Kopila Valley Children's Home and Primary School, Surkhet, Nepal
- Rural Development
- Literacy and Education
- Reduction of Poverty
- Social Justice
- Women’s Empowerment
- Global Sustainability
- Create a loving home, school and community base for orphaned, street children, child laborers, ex-child conscripted soldiers, and abused children, thus offering them a sense of safety and security.
- Offer the children nutritious food, clean water, medical care, clothing, and a warm bed.
- Provide the children with a multidimensional educational experience that both embodies and reaches beyond the traditional classroom. This will ultimately include art, music, world religion, sustainability and human values education.
- Provide vocational training skills to develop self-sufficiency (i.e. sewing, cooking, gardening, husbandry, community outreach, computer skills)
- Teach the children to grow and develop in an age of globalization while instilling a strong sense of cultural identity and connection to their heritage.
- Establish a relationship with the local community, raise local awareness, and stress community influence. Change the social perspective towards the poor and lower castes.
- Conduct programs for widows, socially vulnerable and destitute women within the community thus encouraging women’s welfare, empowerment, and gender equality as well as positive community relations.